Always remember that calling 9-1-1 is for police, fire and medical emergencies only. Please use the following guidelines when calling 9-1-1:
- Do not call 9-1-1 for jokes or prank calls. The Illinois law effective January 1, 2010, states “it is a felony that could result in three years in prison and a $25,000 fine” for any person charged with the misuse of 9-1-1.
- If you call 9-1-1, do not hang up.
- Stay calm, take deep breaths and speak clearly. We know you are experiencing an emergency, but it is critical that you are able to relay to us what that emergency is.
- Stay on the line until you are told to hang up. FoxComm provides medical pre-arrival instruction to assist you in helping the person in need. Do not hang up unless instructed to do so by the telecommunicator assisting you.
- When you call 9-1-1, take a deep breath, and listen very carefully to the questions being asked. In a time of need it is easy to misunderstand questions as you are focused on getting help and rightly so, but pay close attention to the questions we ask as the answers will assist the responding emergency personnel and help us determine if more than normal response will be needed to assist you.